Preparing for Your Appointment
Being a newly diagnosed patient means that you and your family will have many questions about your diagnosis and treatment options. Getting information is the first step. Being well informed will ensure that you have the knowledge and skills needed to take an active role in your care, and can join your care team in making well-informed decisions.
To get the most from your care, learn about the important support services and tips on communicating with your health care team, download the Patient and Family Orientation slideshow. This package contains information on important patient and family resources City of Hope Duarte provides, including:
- How to find support services and programs for you and your family
- Key clinic, hospital and appointment locations
- Who to call for answers and assistance
The staff at City of Hope is dedicated to providing you and your loved ones with first-class care. To help make the most of your time during your appointment, please take a moment to review the below in preparation for your visit.
- Patient guides update: We are taking all necessary precautions to protect our patients, their families and caregivers, and our staff as the COVID-19 situation continues to evolve, including screening and updated visitor policies.
- Confirming or rescheduling your appointment: You will be contacted one to two business days prior to your appointment with information on where and what time to arrive. To confirm or reschedule an appointment, please call the appointment desk at the City of Hope location where you will be treated.
- What to bring and wear: Please bring your current ID and medical insurance cards, a form of payment if your insurance plan requires a co-pay and a written authorization from your provider if you are in an HMO plan. Plan to wear comfortable clothing but bring additional layers as some patient areas may be chilly.
- Traveling to City of Hope: Get accustomed with getting to the City of Hope location where your appointment is scheduled. If you’re being treated at the Duarte location, our campus map will help you find parking and your destination. Please plan on arriving 20 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment.
Need general assistance? Patient navigators are available to assist you throughout the process. They may be reached by calling 626-256-HOPE (4673), ext. 32273.
- Need interpreter services? City of Hope offers free interpretation for patients and caregivers whose first language is not English. Please call 626-256-4673, ext. 62282, to reach the Clinical Social Work office.
Have special needs? Or wish to have caregivers or family members who wish to join your next appointment via a conference call? View our instructions for patients with special needs
- Learn more about your cancer and City of Hope programs and treatments.
- Write down questions for your doctor and nurse ahead of time.
- Bring a list of all your current medications, vitamins and supplements. Use My Medicines Journal to record your current medications to share with your care team.
- Keep all your documents together in one place to be able to “grab-n-go” to your appointments.
- Bring a book, magazine or iPad/Kindle (digital device) to keep you busy in case you wait.